Monday, September 08, 2008

A Quick Update

I had a pretty good weekend all told. Saturday was spent mooching around town and then cooking veggie lasagne and chocolate and chestnut mousse for our pal ZF who has just moved from California. She came over to Schossadlerflug in the evening and we ate drank and were merry until about 2 a.m. where she went for her first experience of the London night buses and all the adventures that they can provide.

On Sunday we played Spore, which is amazing. I think hard-core gamers aren't going to like it much because it's very much a journey rather than destination type game. Winning (if that's the term) isn't really the heart of what makes it great. If you don't get a small tingle of joy at seeing your own 6 legged and 4 armed monster hatch from an egg and stomp about the landscape in search of something to eat then it's probably not going to really appeal to you as a game.

I also spent the afternoon finishing off this biography of John Dee, mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, mystic, alchemist, scientist, probably spy and advisor to Queen Elizabeth 1st. I'd been wanting to read something of him for a while that went further than the angel summoning and mysticism with which he is most famously associated these days and this book was it. He was a fascinating man with a wide-ranging mind at a time when religion, the occult and science were all so enmeshed as to be almost inseparable. A good read. I received the book nine days previously and for me to read 350 pages in that time is unusual so it must have been good.

Tonight I shall be playing more Spore I think; these planets don't get conquered by themselves you know.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I've never played Spore before, but I'm sure I'd love it.

5:38 pm  
Blogger booda baby said...

Well, that was impressive, pretty much covering the gamut.

I am now going to have to hunt down that book.

I'm only just now finishing the book I started 3 months ago. Can you believe it? Who needs 3 fricking MONTHS? The Discovery of France. I've enjoyed every inch of it, but he does get bogged down in painting a picture. A 350 page book that has to be read ... it sounds like a delicious Harry Potter adventure and will be REEEEfreshing.

2:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home