Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dictionary Corner

I heard a lovely neologism on the radio this morning. As is normal I awoke to the dulcet tones of Radio 4 and as it's a Sunday the show was Broadcasting House. During a piece about a new website which aims to help those who grow their own veg swap excess produce with like-minded souls they interviewed a fine fellow who chairs a South London Allotment Association. He concurred that such a scheme was probably a good idea as most gardeners end up with a surplus of produce at some time or other which they become increasingly desperate to offload. He describe the process of foisting unwanted extra veg on unsuspecting friends and relatives as "aggressive hospitality". I love this term. I have been guilty of a bit of this in the past, mostly with excessive baking and my mother certainly really likes to make sure I take some marmalade with me whenever I visit.

So when a neighbour fixes you with a steely gaze before pushing a carrier bag full of wind-fallen apples into your chest you at least have a term to describe what just happened.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home