Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Worst Pies in London

Over the last three months or so, T and I have been putting together costumes for my pal Vivswindy's annual fancy dress party. Long-time readers may remember that two years ago I went as R J MacReady from The Thing and T went as the dead Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks. Last year's barbecue was cancelled so that the host could marry his beloved, though he did arrive at the wedding in a Back to the Future equipped Delorean so all was not lost.

This year T and I decided to couple up on the costumes and it was decided that Sweeney Todd and Mrs Lovett would offer us an opportunity to get creative. I bought a vintage style shirt as this was beyond our tailoring skills but we made my waistcoat, razor, razor holster, wig and gloves from scratch. T went to Camden's finest goth emporia for items for her outfit but made the top herself and we made the pie from scratch too. Those fingers we made a while back? Those were for the pie. Here I am, blind as a bat as I decided to go without glasses for as long as possible to improve the look of the costume. T also made me up to look suitably ghoulish:

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

Here's the two of us hamming it up for the camera

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

And this is the inevitable "someone pretends to eat the papier mâché pie" picture:

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

Vivswindy, the host, always has a meticulously researched and sourced costume, this year The Rocketeer from Joe Johnston's film of the same name. Here he is talking to the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz. Where could his comrades be?

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

Oh here they are. Dorothy, The Cowardly Lion, The Scarecrow and The Tin Man are clearly being shown something extremely filthy on that digital camera by the nun. For shame.

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

There were a great many supervillains present also. Here Two Face poses with his fiancee Poison Ivy. I do like Ivy's wellington boots.

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

Vivswindy's brother did a marvelous turn as Jareth from Labyrinth complete with a pair of Darth Maul socks stuffed down his tights for extra, err, presence. Here he is dancing with HW who came as Sarah, also from Labyrinth. She is trying not to stare down.

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

At some point in the following morning, I wasn't wearing a watch for authenticity reasons, we all crawled off to bed. I took this snap of Tinseltroos to show off her magnificent back-combed hair. She normally has very straight hair and this is the most volume I've ever seen:

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

I simply gave my hair to Keanu for safe keeping.

Ed Fancy Dress Barbecue 2008

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

This is easily the 4th, maybe 5th time I've been here today. The interruptions were merciless.

With not a smidgen of talent for fancy dress or interest, for that matter, I still have a gargantuan appreciation for the theatrical/carnivale extravaganza-ness of it all. Gosh, you two looked swell. Tinsel-etc. was much better than what's her name. Helen BC.

Have you ever been to a masked ball? I might have watched too many Frenchie films. I guess you have to have a monarchy to get a masked ba- Hey! You've got one of those!

2:54 am  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

I will pass on your compliment to Tinseltroos, thank you.

A former employer of mine once hosted a masked ball as a Christmas party. It culminated with one of the guests being arrested for trying to climb over the fence and wall that surrounds Buckingham Palace. I feel we've already done the ball/monarchy thing now therefor.e

9:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home