Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Living in the Future


In 1991 my dad bought himself an Apple Macintosh Classic, a lovely little computer which is still in a box at my mum's until I can think of something fun to do with it. It was a spritely little beast back then with an 8 Mhz processor, a scarcely believeable 20 Mb hard drive and an entire megabyte of RAM. I thought this little bugger was the bee's knees.

I have just had my studio workstation upgraded today. The new slab of technology now keeping my feet toasty and warm is 3400 times faster than my dad's old Mac, has 16000 times as much memory and 15000 times as much hard disk space. I think if you'd told me that in 1991, my head would have gone pop. Many people seem to get blasé about the rate of development in technology but every new leap forward makes me catch my breath. These are exciting and weird times, Bubba.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

When I was in high school I had an Osborne computer. It had a built-in screen that was so small I could barely read anything on it. Technology is so amazing.

7:59 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

The first computer I got my grubby little paws on was a BBC Micro at school. I'd have been about 7 or 8 I suppose. Heady days in the life of a junior nerd I can tell you.

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home