Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Lucky Me

Yesterday after work I'd arranged to meet Tommy Dog for a cheeky couple of pints and a catch-up in The George pub just over London Bridge. When the current version of The George was built (1677) St Paul's Cathedral had only just begun construction and the only bridge over the Thames was London Bridge. Which is, of course, why The George is where it is: it was a coaching inn until such things became obsolete as the industrial revolution inexorably made transport quicker.

It's a beautiful old building with many smallish rooms, nooks and crannies. They also have their own microbrewery which does produce a fine pint of bitter. After a couple of these Tommy and I had put the world to rights so he headed south, back to his bachelor pad, and I headed back over the river to wend my way home. As I walked past St Paul's it struck me that it's a pretty good life when you get to walk past one of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in the world on your way home from the boozer.

I had an extra surprise waiting for me when I got home. Tinseltroos had, earlier in the day, asked if I would need anything when I got home in terms of dinner. My plan was to finish up the bacon I'd got at the weekend and fry that and an egg and make myself a sandwich to soak up the booze. Tinseltroos didn't buy me some bread, she baked me a loaf of bread. Imagine my delight when I got back to Schossadlerflug to find a freshly baked loaf of bread waiting. So I had my sandwich and took stock on how fortunate I am.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

So, what you're saying is, it was a perfect day.

10:53 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

There were a couple of sub-perfect moments at work but pretty much it was a great day, yes.

10:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes lucky you. It sounds like a great evening. I love microbreweries. Our local one will be hopping this weekend as our annual highland games take place this Saturday. Our town will be swarming with men in kilts. As you can imagine it is no fun standing around all day in the hot Florida sun in wooly socks and a kilt. Must replenish all that liquid lost. Fun times.
Amy

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home