Friday, August 10, 2007

Rorschach

I've been sitting here in the office alone with some sushi whilst everyone else is out for lunch reading "Spook Country", the new novel by William Gibson. The passage I was reading concerned the details of a dream the heroine has until interrupted by a 'phone call. In the dream, she is walking down Monmouth Street in Covent Garden towards Seven Dials, a walk I did this very lunchtime. She looks at the coffee shop I get my morning cappuccino from every day. The 'phone call she then takes informs her that the owner of the magazine she is working for has the same name as a character from Gibson's last book, "Pattern Recognition". The heroine of that book wore a Buzz Rickson's MA-1 USAF black bomber jacket, an example of which I just picked up on eBay. As "Spook Country" seems largely concerned with the intrusions of the virtual and the imagined upon the real world I begin to wonder how many more weird connections between my day to day life and this book will occur. What does William Gibson know that I don't?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

The University here has a huge fiction writing program - where Kurt Vonnegut, John Irving and even Tennessee Williams learned their craft. So, I have that feeling a lot when reading books by those writers who attended the workshop and write about my small town.

7:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home