Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Digital Pinhole Camera

Sisoftroos very kindly got me a cardboard pinhole camera kit for my birthday. I am putting a roll of aged 35mm colour film through it now and I shall be intrigued to see what, if anything, comes out from it. But this set me thinking about making a digital pinhole camera. At first I was over-complicating the issue by planning to make a pinhole camera that was focused onto a ground glass and then using a macro lens on the digicam to take a photo of the image projected onto the ground glass. This is, of course, way too fussy. A quick Google search showed a far more sensible approach:

  1. Take a body cap for your type of camera.
  2. Punch a hole in the centre of it.
  3. Using a needle, make a tiny hole in a piece of adhesive aluminium foil.
  4. Stick that over the hole in the body cap.
  5. Put the body cap onto the camera and...
  6. VoilĂ , you have a made a pinhole camera.
Here's what I've ended up with at the moment:

My latest Canon "lens" in situ.

And this is from my first test at taking a photo with it:

Pinhole 3

I'm really quite pleased. It's very soft; I think a slightly smaller, more carefully punched hole ,will produce better results but it's not bad. The pleasing pin-hole quality of infinite depth of field is there and these days with Photoshop and such we can add some contrast into the otherwise rather flat images the pinhole produces. I'll try and improve the quality of my pin hole and take some more photos over the coming weeks. I might even try and shoot some time-lapse video.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

Very cool. I love what it produced.

5:33 pm  
Blogger booda baby said...

1. Can you be luckier than to have a birthday that borders on Halloween? I think not.

2. I can't wait to show this post to my addicted-to-photography friend who loves more than ANYTHING to experiment with ways and means. It's a beautiful shot you took. It seems that winter in England is a good time to go pinholing. (Or maybe the pix I've seen benefit from the particular color scheme you've got plenty of ...)(Or maybe I'm making it all up. In which case, it's still a beautiful shot.)

5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home