Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Guitarist magazine has as its main feature this month an article on new acts in what it is terming the "Classic Rock" genre. Now to me "Classic Rock" has horrid connotations of bad dad rock a la Bachman-Turner Overdrive. What they really mean is "Proper Rock": sweaty, leather clad, power chord toting, Gibson guitar into Marshall stack wielding rock and roll. I am, as no one will be surprised to hear, more than a little partial to this type of thing.

To find new bands of this ilk delighted me as, fond as I am of much current music, there isn't much that tickles my highly sensitive rock pleasure centres. And so your brave correspondent with naught but an iTunes account and a rainy afternoon set out to pluck the finest apples from the tree of new "Proper Rock". If you are fond of a bit of AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy or Black Sabbath, and I know some of you are, you'd do well to give the following acts a listen. If you can run to an iTunes download or two I've also listed my favourite track from each artist. I bought a couple from each to test the water. I will be buying real CDs of whole albums worth of a lot of this on Monday:

Airborne - Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast
The Answer - Sweet Emotion
Stone Gods - Burn The Witch
The Sword - Freya
Black Stone Cherry - We Are Kings
Glyder - Gambler's Blues
For those about to rock, we salute you.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I've heard of a few of those bands. i'll have to check out the rest.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Hope you like 'em.

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home