Sunday, September 30, 2007

'Phone Home?


Most readers of this seemingly unending stream of guff will be aware that I am something of a technophile, a geek, perhaps even a nerd (who am I attempting to kid?). As I sit here writing this on my swanky laptop, running the various scripts I've written, talking to the internets on the wi-fi connection I can be fairly confident that my geek credentials are all in order, neatly folded and ready for use at a moment's notice in my wallet, just in front of my artistic license.

The one area of modern technology that I never really "got" however is mobile telephones. I am not a Luddite by any means, I got my first 'phone ten years ago and have been using one daily since then. The trouble is I cannot fathom the vogue for always needing to have the latest in mobile telecommunications technology. Such is my disinterest that I have had two 'phones in ten years. The first was a very brick-like Nokia, the second, and current Atrocity-field-telephone is the Nokia 8310e you see above. It is now 5 years old, has had a hard life in my satchel or coat pocket and yet has always been a stalwart servant. In recent time sadly, the old dear has become somewhat eccentric. She sometimes forgets to tell me that people have tried to call, today she was convinced it was 7.41 a.m. all morning. In short I think it's time she was retired and replaced by some nubile young plastic thing, no doubt with a camera I shan't use and an MP3 player I won't listen to.

Here is my plea, dear reader. I know as close to nothing about the current state of mobile 'phones as makes no difference so please, if you like or loathe you current 'phone, leave a comment so I can add it or discount it from my shortlist. Many thanks, and may all your ring-tones be mellifluous.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I really like my KRZR. I'm not sure if that's because it's all that great, or if it's because it's my first cell phone and I like the freedom it affords me.

4:43 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Thanks, Churlita, I'll add it the list of possibles.

Anyone else have any sage advice?

4:43 pm  
Blogger dmarks said...

Like the blog, but I do have to highlight it to read it the best )dark grey on black background and all).

The biggest problem with cell phones can be seen in the one in your photo: a lack of a standard touch-tone pad, with numbers in perfect right angles. Otherwise, as with these Nokia's, you have to look to find every key before you press it.

I just got a Motorola V197. It's one of the few with a standard touch-tone phone array. Very good so far.

7:04 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Thanks for the suggestion dmarks. I'm a bit surprised you're having difficulty with the text. The main body text is 67% grey (#aaaaaa in HTML speak) which shows up very clearly on my laptop (not calibrated much) and my workstation (calibrated almost weekly).

Is anyone else having difficulty reading the text?

7:23 pm  
Blogger miss weeza said...

If it's not too late, I heartily advocate AGAINST the Nokia N95. Piece of garbage.

2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home