Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Scribbler

I Drew Tinseltroos

I'm trying to get my creative juices flowing again. Having been run ragged by being pulled onto a project in its death throes I'm feeling pretty shattered and I need to get my artistic mojo back. To that end I'm trying to do some more drawing. I haven't done any "proper" drawing in over a year and it shows. I wish drawing were like riding a bike and you never lost the ability no matter how long you went between rides but sadly it isn't. In my experience unless I draw constantly I lose the fine control I need. My drawings look sloppy and poorly constructed; there is no tension in the line, no power to pencil strokes and the shading is scruffy. I suppose it must be a matter of pure hand/eye co-ordination. I know what I want the drawing to look like but the minute level of control of my hands that I need just isn't there at the moment. It's like playing the guitar, if I take a break from playing my hands slow down and I lose precision.


On the plus side even if I'm not over-enthusiastic about the quality of my work at the moment I at least know that it's doing me good and it is very therapeutic. As it's impossible to draw with tension in your arms and shoulders, it's almost as good as having a massage. After spending half an hour with a sketchpad I can feel my knotty shoulders unwind a little. And because you're concentrating on something else it's a subconscious effort to physically relax and it is much more effective for it. I know if I am instructed to relax I find it nigh on impossible to do so, but a little drawing really helps.

It feels good to be doing something constructive that uses a different part of my brain and who knows if I keep practicing I may get vaguely competent again.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

What are you talking about? That's a beautiful drawing.

4:29 am  
Blogger Oscar1986 said...

Like the name of your blog, Engaging blog, fascinating views, superior read. realy good drawing. If you get a chance check out my Ancient worldz blog:)love any comments feedback.

5:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home