Sunday, January 14, 2007

Are You Hep to the Jive I'm Laying Down?




Tinseltroos and I had our first Lindy-hop lesson today. There was a fairly large crowd of mostly enthusiastic beginners all wanting to emulate "Hellzapoppin'" as fast as possible. Well that, my friend, ain't gonna happen but I did enjoy myself immensely though by the time the two hour session was up I was definitely in need of sustenance, a beer, and a sit down. I have decided I like lindy-hop, it's a non-fussy dance, it's a bit sexy without all the studied, artificial foreplay of tango which is a bit arch for me. There's also room for a lot of improvisation once you get the basics apparently which appeals to my jazz soul. I don't think I was the worst male there, I sure as hell wasn't the best either but I got through 2 whole hours without treading on anyone's toes or hacking anyone's shins. This I count as a moral victory in itself. I've put together myself a playlist of Count Basie, Duke Ellington big band stuff and some of Oscar Peterson's "Night Train". I'm listening to "Take the A-Train" as I type. Yeah daddio, we're really jumpin'.


I also picked up some new glasses yesterday with which I'm very chuffed. My eyesight got marginally better in the last year, how is something of a mystery but there we go and I'm thankful. T and I also watched "The Descent" last night. There were too many brown trouser moments to count; absolutely terrifying and sustained terror for about 45 minutes. Egad, nurse where's my medication?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

Nice specs. And the Lindy Hop? How fun. I love watching people do that.

6:50 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

You wouldn't love watching me trying to lindy-hop at the moment. Laugh perhaps, but not love. Practice, they tell me, makes perfect. I really hope that's true.

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home