Thursday, June 05, 2008

My Book Arrived


My Book Arrived, originally uploaded by Mr Atrocity.

One of the things I wanted to do during my fortnight's holiday was to finally get my book of photographs designed, laid out, organised and printed. Having evaluated all the possibilities open to me I decided to go with www.blurb.com as their options seemed better in the types of book I could design and the freedom I had with layout and covers. I actually ended up doing two books, one large hardback book and a smaller paperback that I can give to friends as it's a little less expensive to print. I ordered one of each and yesterday my large book arrived at work. I'm really happy with how it turned out, the prints are exactly the right density which is excellent because I have a penchant for printing pretty dark when I can - I like a lot of blacks in my prints and if I'm not careful a less exacting printer could print the pictures too darkly. So I can really recommend Blurb for anyone thinking of self-publishing, it's a great way to get your work, be it photography or text, out there and available for public consumption, if they want it of course.

Check out my books

When the small version turns up, assuming it too is OK quality wise, I shall order a copy for everyone I know who appears in the book. It seems only fair to say thank you for the time they spent putting up with me trying to take their picture.

There is also a competition on Blurb's website for photography books and I reckon I will enter that. I don't think I have a chance of winning but what the hell. Booda Baby cajoled me into it and for that I'm thankful.

Well it's been a long day; I'm working on three shows at once this week and I'm feeling it tonight, so I shall take myself off to bed.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger booda baby said...

My breath is just a little taken away. It's one of those amazement things, that we're able to make books and gorgeous, gorgeous ones at that. It's so gorgeous, I can't stand it!

There's nothing but good reason for you to win, so I'm going to just sit here, full of confidence.

As an aside, I didn't realize the blurb competition required a hard copy, but if it got us a book of your work, then it worked out pretty well. :)

3:11 pm  
Blogger jen said...

i want! i want! do i just order one online from that site? i assume it's like lulu or something?

6:58 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words.

Booda Baby, I don't think I have to supply a hard copy to the Blurb competition, I'm assuming that part of the entry fee will pay for a copy for the judges. Even if I do, it's not a problem really.

Jen, yes, if you'd like a copy you can just order it from the Blurb page that the post links to. And wow, thank you, I had no idea people I'm not related to might want a copy. There are two versions, the hard back copy is bigger but quite expensive, the mini-edition is a smaller paperback but a lot cheaper. At the moment I only have a copy of the big version.

7:23 pm  
Blogger Churlita said...

That's wonderful. I'm so glad it turned out so well. I can't wait to hear more about the contest.

7:02 pm  
Blogger jen said...

K, so i finally got it. It's lovely:)

4:58 am  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Thank you, Jen. I'm very touched that you thought enough of the work to part with hard-earned cash for it.

12:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home