Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Holiday

My timing was nigh on perfect. I arrived in St. Ives on Monday afternoon in beautiful, warm sunshine. The 6 hour journey on the train from London was hassle free and my hotel was two minutes walk from the station. It was a small but modern looking hotel and my room, though without a view of the sea, was comfortable and I could hear the waves smacking into the beach just over the road from the hotel. After settling into my room and ordering a cream tea I went for a little wander around the town, just to the far side of the harbour and back. I found a new restaurant that I don't think was there when last I visited and had a lovely dinner.

Tuesday was not too hot but still sunny and was the perfect weather for my major walk. I walked along the coastal path from St. Ives around to Zennor. It took about three hours and a few sections stretched the term "path" to extremes. There were a couple of places were the path consisted of a few dynamited boulders right on the cliff edge which was a little hairy. I survived and made it to the tiny village of Zennor. There I listened to the song Zennor Hill by a folk duo called Mouse who used to go and see until they broke up. By this point I was ready for my first beer. Many people had recommended The Tinner's Arms as a great pub and it did not disappoint. A large ham sandwich and two pints of fantastic beer and I was ready for home. I took the bus back to St. Ives, a less beautiful but much faster inland route than the one I took.

On Thursday I pottered about St. Ives itself, reading my book, having fish pie and more beer at The Sloop Inn, visiting the insanely cluttered St. Ives Museum and eating another cream tea. Another tasty dinner and I was done.

My timing continued right up to the moment I left. The storm clouds were gathering as I took a final stroll around the quay and the first heavy spots of rain fell as I boarded the little shuttle train from St. Ives to St. Erth.

Another six hours of traveling yesterday saw me return to London. A lovely break but I was ready to come home. I missed Tinseltroos a huge amount and I felt the city calling again too.

Here are a few black and white photos I took. I might post some of the colour ones tomorrow:


Dusk Over the Cliffs

Running Play

Tin Mine on the Horizon

The Tinner's Arms, Zennor

Dramatic Clouds Over the Sea

Ahab Sits and Waits

Storm Clouds Gathering over the Harbour

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

God. I just love the photos you take. Nice work on making the weather cooperate.

8:01 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Thank you Churlita, I'd be a liar if I said that compliments weren't always appreciated.

If you ever want to see any of the pictures bigger, some of these are losing a lot of detail, you can click on the picture in the post and it'll take you to the flickr page where higher resolution ones reside. Only if you're interested of course.

6:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home