Saturday, May 31, 2008

Retro Gaming Joy


Fate of Atlantis, originally uploaded by Mr Atrocity.

It's great big nerd time again. For those of a certain age the classic Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max and of course the Indiana Jones games will always hold a special place in our hearts. It was the mixture of puzzles, beautiful design and attention to detail that sucked us in and kept us interested. The good news is that for those who still have their game disks you can relive the glory days again.

The Lucas Arts games were written in a development environment called SCUMM. Some kind souls have written a SCUMM virtual machine and another saint has ported that to the Nintendo DS. Using my lovely homebrew card I spent a little while last night getting it all up and running on my DS. Of course given my current state of new Indy fuelled excitement I had to choose Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as the first game to get dusted off and played on its new tiny, portable home. It's as good as I remembered it and far from just being an exercise in nostalgia it's actually still an engaging game to play.

Today I am a happy nerd with many hours of reliving the glory days of Lucas Arts ahead of me. Altogether now, "Memorieeeees..."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

How cool. I still never get tired of playing Galaga and Centipede. That's how old school I am.

9:32 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Those too are classics.

4:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home