Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sheldon Brown (1944-2008)


I have just learned that bicycling oracle Sheldon Brown has died. There are few fields where one person reigns supreme as the final authority but in matters of bicycle mechanics Sheldon Brown had that distinction. There are countless arguments that run on bicycling fora until someone goes to www.sheldonbrown.com for the definitive answer. And then there is no need to argue further, Sheldon has spoken.

When I was building my bicycle last summer I frequently visited his site because I knew, firstly that the answer would be there, and secondly that it would be explained clearly so that even a knucklehead like me could understand it. If one man can be said to have demystified the mechanics of bicycles of all vintages to allow anyone with a modicum of mechanical nous to get one up and running, then Sheldon Brown was that man.

Thank you, Sheldon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home