Monday, February 11, 2008

A Compressed Weekend

Although I worked all Saturday and then Sunday morning, by two o'clock I felt I'd done enough and so took myself off to Hammersmith where my pal CJ was having her birthday drinks. It felt really good to be in an unfamiliar part of town and away from Soho, just for a little while. It was also huge fun to sup a few pints of ale and catch up with buddies I haven't seen in a while.

The second treat was the day light. It was beautifully sunny all day, great news for the Chinese New Year parade that I had to fight my way through to get to work (in London, Soho and Chinatown are adjacent), and even better for when I left work it was still sunny. At 4.30 I looked out of the window of the pub and, even then, it was still daylight. I suppose I've been in work pretty much every day for the last three weeks or so and I just hadn't appreciated how much the nights had started drawing out. An extra treat.

The final treat of the day came during the evening. It was BAFTA night (the British film industry's annual bun-fight) and my chum Benny Mo won a BAFTA. I am so pleased and proud of him. I cannot think of a nicer man for it to happen to either. It was odd to watch him on TV looking fairly uncomfortable in his dinner jacket thanking his crew and family because the last time I saw him was at my birthday when he was in his usual scruffy jeans, quite tipsy and cursing the hours he was spending working on the very same show he's just won the award for. I'm sure he'll be far too grand to talk to me now he has something to put in the trophy cabinet.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

Congrats to your friend. It's always nice when good people win.

4:04 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Yes, you often get the feeling that anyone who wins an award must be a pushy bastard but it appears that it isn't always so.

4:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home