Monday, June 19, 2006

I Am Weak

It didn't take long to convince me. I saw A Tokai Flying V in the window of the guitar shop on Friday and had lusted after it all weekend. So today I went and played it, and it's pretty decent for a cheapish guitar. So, err, well, I err, I, erm, bought it. It's so pretty.

I've wanted a Flying V for years, it's such a design icon, so utterly modernist and so completely unlike a generic strat or Les Paul - it's not even guitar-shaped for heaven's sake. Though lust had nearly got the better of me on more than one occasion in the past I'd balked at the cost of Gibson ones as it's a guitar I'm not going to play all the time, if for no other reason than they're a complete bastard to play sat down. So when I found out that Tokai were making good quality; how can this be put delicately? Err knockoffs, and for a fraction of the price of a real one I could resist no longer.

Justification to myself time : But they are very lightweight which means that it's perfect for band practice where I have to carry the damn thing around with me all day, and as it's a lot cheaper than my Les Paul I am less worried if it gets dinged and dinted. Plus I always have to stand whilst at band practice so I may as well look cool whilst I do it.

The sound's pretty interesting too. As the wood is less dense than the mahogony that Les Pauls are usually constructed from it has a lighter tone. The shape probably helps in this too. I think it'll have a lovely sweet overdriven tone when I get it plugged into the right amp. Yum.

I'm so excited, I can't wait to get it plugged in and start some proper vintage rock and roll happening. Time to start playing Lonnie Mack tunes again. Joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home