Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cheers


Cheers, originally uploaded by Mr Atrocity.

I have been out for the last couple of nights catching up with friends.

On Tuesday I was at The Cork and Bottle, a wine bar adjacent to Leicester Square. It is, in spite of its location, a delightful place with a stonking wine list. The four of us, TR, NH, P and myself managed to get through three bottles of excellent red, including a delicious, soft Pinot Noir from Oregon, TR's home state. You can see me here finishing off the evening with a glass of port. Yum.

In addition to the booze, The Cork and Bottle also does food, good hearty solid food. One of their specialities is their Hemingway Burger. It is, they claim, Ernest's own recipe and it is bloody good containing beef, lamb, pork, wine and spices all in hefty quantities. It is a good thing too that the food is substantial as you're never going to satisfied with just a glass or two of wine when there's so much good stuff on the list to try.

Last night I met up with my buddy S, who I haven't seen in months for a catch-up over a cocktail or two, which ended up being a cocktail or two, dinner with a bottle of wine and then the pub for a pint before heading our separate ways home. All good but I think I shall be keeping off the sauce tonight.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I hear you. It's fun to go out drinking, but I can't do it too many days in a row without drying out.

6:51 pm  
Blogger Mrs Pouncer said...

Good heavens, you young people! I am the proud possessor of the sort of constitution that made Britain great, and I have only achieved this by treating my body as a largish flesh-covered cocktail shaker.

Why not give yourself a broadside and try an Empire Sunset tonight (3 parts British sherry, 1 part hair oil, pepper). Cordially yours etc etc

11:33 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Churlita, It's worth having an evening off the sauce just to remind yourself how much fun it is.

Mrs. Pouncer, you appear to be attempting to induce me to consume some sort of obscure foreign pomade. Can this be right? However, I am deeply intrigued to know what is this "British sherry" of which you speak? Perhaps it is my appalling lack of sophistication but I was given to believe sherry to be an exclusively foreign beverage, more specifically Spanish, even more specifically from Jerez. Now gin on the other hand, though Dutch in origin, is truly English drink.

Nonetheless it is most kind of you to stop by.

10:03 am  
Blogger Mrs Pouncer said...

Astounded. Haven't you heard of QC British Sherry? I really must profess my amazement. I know that you are young (younger than me, that is, hemhem) but really! Still manufactured by (I think) Matthew Clarke & Co., QC has been rebranded as British Fortified Wine to fit in with EU protocol.

No Christmas was complete without aunts the length and breadth of the Thames Valley stocking their sideboards with QC, Warnincks Advocaat ("Evenincks and Mornincks, I drink Warnincks") and Hunt's Soda ("Call for Hunts!")

Are you absolutely sure you have no memory of this? Or no aunts? Cordially etc etc

2:35 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

Mrs. Pouncer, I fear I have no aunts and no QC.

I remain, madam, your most humble servant,

Mr. Atrocity

2:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home