Wednesday, March 15, 2006

By way of explanation...

Why "Mr Atrocity", Mr Atrocity? Well, dear reader, there is a little story attached to this. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Back in the early 1990s my dad had one of them thar new-fangled Apple Mac Classics with the now-defunct Claris Works on it. I still own this pooter as I can't bear to throw something so beautiful away and who knows I might think of something to do with it one day. Gutting it and cramming the innards from a Mac Mini into the case have occured as a thought but got no further than that. I did manage to give away my treasured Silicon Graphics O2 last year. I had finally realised that my phone had more processing power. Sniff, how the mighty are fallen. "My name is Ozymandias" and all that. Any way this is all way off the point, back to Claris Works. The first thing we did when we got it was to write a letter, which concluded with my name. Now spell-checkers were pretty over-zealous in those days and not very bright (a bit like the GOP today) and would offer suggestions for absolutely any word it didn't have, including proper nouns. The best it could offer for my surname was "atrocity", hence the name. Over the years it's stuck and as a nom de guerre I like it. So now you know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Pouncer said...

Dear Mr Atrocity, thank you. That clears it up admirably. I have a friend called Mr Baboon for exactly the same reason. Cordially, Mrs Pouncer

2:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home