Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pie and Calipers

Yesterday we had some chums over for dinner as they are to fly out to Australia at the end of the week to start a new life. I have tried to warn them that Australia is full of poisonous bitey things but to no avail, they're still going. Tinseltroos made a delicious pilaf from the Madhur Jaffrey veggie cookbook I got her for her birthday. I decided to take everyone back to the 1970s and made a lemon meringue pie. I am proud to say that I made everything from scratch, pastry, lemon curd and the meringue. I even branched out by making hot meringue, the method where you add hot sugar to the egg white so it cooks instantly and you end up with the lightest, fluffiest meringue imaginable. And I got to use my blowtorch to finish the top off. What's not to like?

Calculating a Chain Line

Tonight I finally got round to trying to calculate the correct bottom bracket to buy for my bicycle project. This is a rather crucial element of the build as the load on the chain from fixed wheel riding is very high so it pays to have the straightest chain possible between the chain wheel and the rear sprocket. Having spent the evening with rulers, my vernier calipers and severals sheets of paper for my notes and calculations I have determined that I think I need a 110mm bottom bracket and that is what I've just ordered. If my measurements are accurate, and my arithmetic is all in order then this will be the final part to buy and now, finally, I'll actually be able to finish the build. Just in time for winter when no-one wants to ride anymore. Bugger. If it's the wrong size, I'll have wasted fifteen quid and have to do the whole thing again but hey-ho it's all a learning experience.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

My mom would have loved you. Lemon meringue was her favorite.

7:19 pm  
Blogger Mr Atrocity said...

My mum was saying on the 'phone last night that she was thinking only the other day about how much she liked lemon meringue pie. It's clearly the mother's choice.

10:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home