Sunday, October 15, 2006

Further Baking Experimentation


I have a recipe for ginger cake that I've been making for many years. One of my work colleagues, Tabi, told me of a recipe she's baked in which chunks of cooking apple are added to the mixture. This set me thinking and after toying with a few possibilities I have ended up making a cinnamon and pear cake. Here's what I did:

  • Take 9oz golden syrup, 6oz light muscavado sugar, 3oz dark brown muscavado sugar, 6oz unsalted butter and 5 small pears, peeled, cored and chopped into small cubes. Put these in a saucepan and heat until all the butter has melted. Allow to cool a little.
  • Take 12oz self raising flour and add 3 heaped teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of mixed spice. Mix well.
  • Beat 1 egg and an extra yolk and then add 3/8 pint of milk.
  • Beat in the melted sugar, butter and fruit mixture into the flour.
  • Mix in the milk and egg.
  • Pour into a lined cake tin.
  • Bake at 160oC for about 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean when poked into the centre of the mixture.
  • Once the cake's cooled a little, sprinkle demerara sugar over the top.
It seems pretty good; quite a subtle, but pleasant, fruit flavour and very moist. I will make it again I think, and it does seem very autumnal which suits the weather here at the moment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home