Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I'm pretty sure it was journalist Keith Waterhouse who said that there were only two drinks worth pairing with fish and chips. The first was hot, sweet tea. I shall exercise selective hearing and say that hot tea is indeed a perfect accompaniment especially after a day out and about back at home preferably with "Final Score" on the TV. Indeed that set of circumstances has the ability to raise the happy punter to a heightened level of consciousness that devout Buddhists can only dream of.

Anyway back to the point in hand, the other drink Waterhouse mentioned was champagne, and last night The Doddlings and myself gave it a try. Happy to report that the experiment was a complete success. I was initially a little sceptical, but the champagne cuts through the lipidic nature of the batter and chip fat whilst retaining its distinct flavour. Absolutely worth trying, though I still think I'd prefer hot tea after a days exertion. I shall be saving champagne and fish and chips for those special bohemian moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home